Here are some of the skills that can distinguish ordinary essay writers from extraordinary essay writers. Read on for some golden rules that are followed by essay writers par excellence:
- Avoid the repetition of words. This will make it look like you lack a good enough vocabulary and make your essay sound boring and drab
- Good essay writers place an emphasis on the positive rather than the negative.
- Essay writers should ensure that there is a smooth flow between one idea and paragraph to the next by using transitions words between paragraphs. Learn to use transition words like moreover, in addition, or phrase like-‘soon after this’; ‘in a short time.’
- While making a transition from one topic to the next, start with a sentence like, ‘Unlike topic ‘A’ topic ‘B’ is clearer …”
- Essay writers should not use large and difficult words and long complicated sentences. Keep it to the point and relevant, without trying to sound too clever and contrived. Essay writers should know the value of simplicity and sense.
- You should also know the value of using thethesaurus so that you avoid needless repetitions. The use of synonyms will make an essay writer’s workmore interesting.
- Essay writers should know that there are some words that are best avoided since they are rather wishy-washy and vague. Words like ‘nice’ should be substituted with more powerful and descriptive words such as unforgettable, excellent and so on. Essay writers that pack in a punch avoid the use of words like, maybe somewhat and perhaps.
- Don’t use language that is too flowery. Tell it like it is through short and precise sentences. Trying to sound too arty or clever might make your essay a contrived one and make it difficult to understand.
- Make use of the active and not the passive voice. Instead of writng a sentence in the passive voice: ‘The exam was written by the student.’ A good essay writer should say, Active voice: ‘The student wrote the exam’. Good essay writers make their writing more concise and clear by using the active voice.
- Lastly Essay writers should familiarize themselves with proper grammatical style and punctuation by reading books like Elements of Style by William Strunk, Jr. and E.B. White.